Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Locke Library

Nothing has taught me more about the importance of original historical documents than the past year of research. Census records, wills, land transfers, death records & cemetery visits have provided me with priceless info, in some cases, breaking years of mystery, and in other cases, shedding new light on information that was accepted as fact.
Nothing has been more helpful than to take documents gathered in the past and to put them all together with the technology, new info, & fresh eyes we have now. And nothing has been more frustrating than to wade through document after document online to discover some new connections and info (yeah!), only to discover copies of those documents were sitting in some box or file of some family member but just didn't get passed on.

So in light of all of these reasons, and in an effort to combine the brains and brawn of the greater Locke family, I have begun a digital library of key documents for each of the Locke lines that come from Chester Co, South Carolina. I have added these photo libraries to the blog's sidebar, as well, but for convenience and excitement's sake here they are in all their glory:
I have already personally gained new information from just compiling and labeling these images and can't image what we can do together. Feel free to comment in the album. And please, we would love any other documents you have-- either as scanned copies or digital images. (Although I have included a few photos, I'm trying to stay away from building a scrapbook of relatives' photos here. I'm hoping mostly for this to be a compilation of historical documents that can be passed and maintained for future generations.)

3 comments:

Jan Kate Brower Arnell said...

Oh how I wish your Dad had had a few hours to spend in my files when he was here. I have found a lot of photo copies of records listing the Rives, Reeves, etc. from when my father was involved in research. I have not made it to those files yet in photo copying. He would have known at a glance if the stuff I have was of interest or not and whether I should skip ahead to those files. I must say I have been have a fun time learning about our ancestors, albeit overwhelming!

Great work! I don't know how you read some of those documents!

Kristen said...

Jan,
If you click on them they go a little bigger. Otherwise you can download the image on your own computer & it can go as big as you want!

Lorie said...

Kristen-
Great blog! I actually found a connection to my Locke ancestors here. My great-grandmother was Martha Katherine Tipton Bower (dtr. of Adeline Locke Hemmings McClannahan, granddaughter of Stephen and Rhoda Locke). Thanks!!!